Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Welcome Home Dinner

When Mr. Bear gets home from deployment he typically wants grilled salmon, asparagus and a salad.  However, this time he requested a steak.  Actually, when he called home he said he wants "lots of red meat." Clearly he was going through meat withdraw.  I planned my menu and went to the local butcher.  When I told them their lovely bacon wrapped filets would be the center piece of my homecoming meal, they all started clapping and offered their heartfelt "welcome home" greetings.  I was very touched by their enthusiasm.  After a few tears, I headed home to finish my prep work.  I had a tasty red wine ready for the dinner, which was picked out by Yanni, the owner of a local wine store near my house.

I wasn't expecting Mr. Bear till late afternoon.  Of course he surprises me and calls around 8AM saying he was home.  I figured "home" was back in the US.  Oh no.  He was downstairs in the parking lot.  As luck would have it, I was still in bed.  I'd stayed up late the night before cleaning so I was exhausted.  I figured I had plenty of time before his arrival.  Of course, the one time I'm not dressed and ready he shows up early!

I feel truly blessed he came home safe.  As a military wife, I don't take that for granted. Cheers and good eats to all my military families! God bless our military and the best country on earth- USA!






On the menu:
Bacon wrapped filets with balsamic reduction and garlic butter
Roasted asparagus with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
Roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup drizzle

Balsamic Reduction:
Recipe courtesy of Brian Boitano
Food Network.com

  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

Balsamic Reduction:
In a small pot, over medium-low heat, add the vinegar and brown sugar, and whisk to combine. Cook and reduce until thick, about the consistency of maple syrup. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve drizzled over filet mignon and asparagus.

I seasoned the steaks with salt and pepper.  I heated my grill pan and browned the steaks on all sides for about 3-4 minutes.  Make a garlic butter mixing soften unsalted butter with small dice garlic, salt and pepper.  Pre-heat the oven to 375*.  After browning the steaks I put them in the oven for about seven-ten minutes with the garlic butter. (Bear likes his medium rare and I like mine medium.) Use a thermometer to test for desired temp. Put the steaks on a plate and wrap them in foil to rest for about 10 minutes.

Asparagus -Cut the hard woodsy parts of the stem off, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and toss in olive oil.  Put in 400* oven for about 7-8 minutes.

Sweet Potatoes- peel the skins off, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss in olive oil.  Bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender.  Lightly drizzle with maple syrup.






 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Bear! Your welcome home dinner sounds delicious. So happy he is home safe and please thank him for his continued service to our great nation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you two could come over for a red meat dinner? Glad you're home, John!!!

    ReplyDelete